Thursday, April 18, 2013

Funny is easier than frustrated

     Sometimes, I wish Orthodoxy was more mainstream. That when I said "vigil" people thought of the same thing I did or pictured vestments and icons when I said "church". For the most part, I learn to just deal with it. When the responses I get are completely outlandish I revert to amusement as opposed to annoyance because it's easier to live my life that way. Take an exchange I had today for an example:
     Ninja baby was settling down for a late nap ( 4 ish) in the ergo so I decided to go for a walk and get some air. Enter neighbor lady and her beagle.

     Neighbor Lady: Don't let that baby nap so late! (Let's ignore the random advice aspect, shall we? )
   
     Me: It's fine, we have several late nights coming up, not to mention holy week soon. (Ah, theres my problem, accidentally letting on that I am not a WASP)

     NL: Holy Week?

     Me: Yeah, the week before Easter

     NL: That was a while ago

     Me: Actually, I'm Orthodox so it hasn't happened on our calendar yet

     NL: But...jews don't have Easter..

     Me: Orthodox Christian actually, not jewish

     NL: But, jews aren't Christian...

     Me: Never mind, pagan tulip worship, we stay out all night sniffing tulips

     NL: Tulips?

     Me: yup, highly sacred practice

     NL: Tulips?

     Me: I worship tulips

     NL: ......

     Beagle: arf!
   
     Ninja:wah!

     Me:Gotta run!

     Yeah, thats basically my life. I should really stop voulenterring information about Orthodoxy, it never gets me anywhere. Although I am now pretty sure I convinced that lady that I worship tulips. Fun fact: there are tulips growing in her garden. Maybe next time I walk by I'll kneel and smell them deeply. That would be mean, but fun.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment